[Blend-fluxbox-devel] configuration of /etc and /home/user directories

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jan 12 04:30:32 UTC 2016

Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-12 09:20:02)
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 12:17 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-11 02:29:23)
>>> I am thinking we need /etc/skel for configs.
>>
>> Beware that skel files are applied only when initially creating an
>> account - accounts created before the package containing the skel
>> files are not affected, and updated to the skel files are not applied
>> to existing accounts either!
>>
>> Better is to configure files in /etc, by filing bugreports against
>> the various packages shipping those configfiles.
>
> This is one part I'm not clear about. Let's have the following
> installation scenario:
>
> install blend-fluxbox -> depends on fluxbox -> depends on lightdm ->
> depends on xorg
>
> so, installing blend-fluxbox will force install in order: xorg,
> lightdm, fluxbox

Dependency chain only ensures presence of packages after install, not in
which order they get installed (if packages had declared "Pre-Depends:"
then install order was also ensured, but that should be avoided in
general as it complicates install routines - e.g. raises the risk of
dependency loops - and is rarely needed anyway).

> Who gets to install the configuration files for each of the three
> files?

(assuming you meant to say the three _packages_ above...)

xorg package provides the config files for xorg.  That includes
mechanisms for other packages to extend its configuration, e.g. via
the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ dir.

This means fluxbox package can include an xorg snippet.

Assuming we introduce a blend-fluxbox package into Debian (which is only
one of several approaches to making a blend), then we can either a) ship
some snippet unique to our blend with our package, or b) convince the
maintainers of either fluxbox or xorg packages to improve their
configurations to take our needs into account.

If e.g. we find out that some xorg flag is needed to get some mice to
behave more sensible, then that is not really specific to our blend but
far better suited in the core xorg package.  Similarly we may find
tunings that are sensible for _any_ use of Fluxbox, not only the context
of our specific blend.

Hope that made sense.

If still confusing, I suggest you take a concrete example from your
actual custom config, and I can try reflect on how it might make best
sense to apply that.

 - Jonas