[Buildd-tools-devel] schroot unionfs support

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Wed Mar 25 11:01:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 03:33:50PM +0100, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> > I have applied both sets of changes to the fs-union branch of
> >   git://git.debian.org/users/rleigh/schroot.git
>
> Fails for me with
>
> warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

There is no "master" branch here; you can add it as a remote:

git remote add rleigh git://git.debian.org/users/rleigh/schroot
git fetch rleigh
git checkout -b fs-union rleigh/fs-union

You can now use it like any branch.

> > However, I can't merge these two huge changes into the master
> > branch without splitting them up into their constituent small
> > changes so that they can be applied incrementally as well as
> > being throughly reviewed.
>
> I've found some time this weekend and almost finished splitting up my
> patch into reviewable chunks. I have a longer railway trip tomorrow, so
> I hope to finish it in the train.

Great, thanks!

> BTW - is there an easy way to change a patch in the local git history?
> I want to move a patch chunk from one to an other.

git rebase -i

Just change the changeset order in your editor, and it will magically
reorder them for you.  You can also use this to edit the history to
split up and merge together changesets, or change them entirely.

> I did it once with a branch, reset HEAD~1 and then cherry picking all
> other patches, but I thought there might be something faster.

Yes ;-)

I used to use the cherry-pick approach until I discovered how
wonderful git rebase was!

> I'll probably send my stuff tomorrow. Is it ok to send it via git email to
> this list?

That would be brilliant, thanks.  If it's mailed as separate patches,
it makes review and discussion of them much easier.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh