[Collab-maint-devel] Re: Collaborative maintenance, time to work

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Mon Feb 6 22:51:05 UTC 2006

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> 1) VCS -> deb-src
> One thing I think would be really interesting is to provide a apt
> deb-src service for packages maintained in a VCS repository...
> Like... if package foo is maintained in CVS with cvs-buildpackage, a
> line in sources.list should be enough to do an "apt-get source foo" and
> get the lastest CVS version (defined by the last changelog entry in HEAD
> that has a debian_version_x_x_x-y tag defined)...

Yeah, this is already noted on the main wiki page :
|  Generate an aptable source repository (possibility to download the last
|  sources without using svn)

Except that I would have included the very latest "trunk/HEAD" version and not
the last tagged one ... care to explain why you'd prefer the last tagged
one ?

Tagged versions are usually uploaded shortly, and thus this APT repository
wouldn't be more bleeding-edge than unstable/experimental ...

> 2) Repository for each group of maintainers
> It would be nice if the group had its own archive. This brings:
> a) each group to have its own "experimental" archive
> b) In some cases (gnome is one I can think, but X and several others
> apply), the group would have how to control the release of a new
> upstream release in a cooler way, I mean, gnome development cycle is
> different from debian's, but it would be nice to have a repository for
> the lastest unstable gnome and for the stable gnome.
> c) bring backports.org closer, providing the infra-estructure to build
> each of these versions against sid and sarge...

Yeah, it's easy to have many interesting ideas, but that's definitely not
the top priority IMO.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog