[Collab-maint-devel] Re: {SPAM} Re: Collaborative maintenance, time to work

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Thu Feb 9 18:11:57 UTC 2006

Daniel Ruoso <daniel at ruoso.com> writes:

>> > That's why I suggested to export only tagged versions...
>> But tagged versions will be released near so doesn't makes sense to
>> have a snapshot repository at all.
>
> Except if such practice causes the bump of new versions more frequently,
> but only some of these would actually go to ftp-master... In fact, if
> the version is untagged... 1) Which version name will be used? 2) Which
> version of the VCS will be used? 3) Isn't it a problem to have 2
> different releases with the same number (how can one know if it's the
> same version he already have or not?)?

We could have, for example:

grub (0.97-5) UNRELEASED; urgency=low

  [ Otavio Salvador ]
  * Applied patch from David Golombek <daveg at permabit.com> to handle
    DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM definition while building in sarge.
    (closes: #351822, #350168)

 -- Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>  Wed,  8 Feb 2006 00:55:24 -0200

and the system could make:

grub (0.97-4.svn.r203) UNRELEASED; urgency=low

  [ Otavio Salvador ]
  * Applied patch from David Golombek <daveg at permabit.com> to handle
    DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM definition while building in sarge.
    (closes: #351822, #350168)

 -- Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>  Wed,  8 Feb 2006 00:55:24 -0200

> It's even possible that we create a practice of a different versioning
> schema for non-official source releases like... x.x.x-y.z (where on
> non-official releases, the ".z" part is added or increased until an
> official release increases y and removes ".z"

That could be done using the UNRELEASED distribution like we usualy do
when using svn-buildpackage and team maintainence.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855