[Collab-maint-devel] Re: Collaborative maintenance, time to work

Daniel Ruoso daniel at ruoso.com
Mon Feb 6 23:09:05 UTC 2006

Em Seg, 2006-02-06 às 23:51 +0100, Raphael Hertzog escreveu:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> > 1) VCS -> deb-src
> > One thing I think would be really interesting is to provide a apt
> > deb-src service for packages maintained in a VCS repository...
> > Like... if package foo is maintained in CVS with cvs-buildpackage, a
> > line in sources.list should be enough to do an "apt-get source foo" and
> > get the lastest CVS version (defined by the last changelog entry in HEAD
> > that has a debian_version_x_x_x-y tag defined)...
> Yeah, this is already noted on the main wiki page :
> |  Generate an aptable source repository (possibility to download the last
> |  sources without using svn)
> Except that I would have included the very latest "trunk/HEAD" version and not
> the last tagged one ... care to explain why you'd prefer the last tagged
> one ?

usually the untagged is probably broken... when something is finished,
the changelog entry and the tag are created (I work this way, actually,
I don't know if this is the common practice) I like to commit a lot even
before the work is completely done...

> Tagged versions are usually uploaded shortly, and thus this APT repository
> wouldn't be more bleeding-edge than unstable/experimental ...

except that it's possible to imagine that each group could have it's
experimental sources available before it goes to unstable... I mean, a
transition can be made with less burden on the debian archive, since the
developers can have a source repository to mess with and test better
before uploading to ftp-master, then uploading a full set of already
tested packages...

> > 2) Repository for each group of maintainers
> Yeah, it's easy to have many interesting ideas, but that's definitely not
> the top priority IMO.

Sure... That was just my delirium of the best ever future...

daniel