[Collab-maint-devel] Re: {SPAM} Re: Collaborative maintenance, time to work

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Mon Feb 6 23:02:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> Well, I just started thinking better...
>
> actually, the PkgRepository doesn't need to be a "module" of some bigger
> application... If each group has a deb-src repository generated from its
> VCS (no matter how) it's already enough...

I'd like to extend the "PkgRepository" API to add a "checkout" and
"update" mechanism.

This way your script would checkout the sources via the module (and
maybe only update them in another invocation), and generate the source
package from there.

I really want this new infrastructure to be as "real-time" as possible.
This means that the source package would be regenerated after each commit.
Of course, some kind of "delayed build" is needed to avoid rebuilding 3
times in 5 minutes but the idea is to launch "update scripts" like this
one directly via the VCS hooks (like those used to send diff by mail).

I'd appreciate your input on this, and if you agree, then of course you're
welcome to add this feature in the actual code. I can add you to the
project, you'll just have to give me your alioth login.

> and generate the Sources file... And, of course, a machine to run this
> tool and host the files is also needed... I'll see if I get some time to
> write such a tool for pkg-perl (which is SVN, but I'm not sure if the
> directory layout is the usual)...

The machine can be alioth itself. Generating the sources packages only
must not be so much time consuming.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog