[D-community-offtopic] How can I backup a Win XP by the same script I use to backup my Linux?

Linux-Fan Ma_Sys.ma at web.de
Sun May 19 16:26:12 UTC 2013

On 05/19/2013 05:29 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Mi, 2013-05-15 at 19:03 +0200, Linux-Fan wrote:
>>> As far as I know, bs could only improve performace but is not strictly
>>> necessary. The problem is: To restore the backup you need the exactly
>>> same partition-layout and (important for Windows) the Hardware (or even
>>> AHCI vs. IDE mode with SATA drives) may not be changed. If you plan to
>>> restore on the same hardware (except for the hard drive) and connect the
>>> hard drive to the same port having restored the partition layout it
>>> should be
>
> I tried to restore a backup made with partimage to restore in VBox. I
> tried all kinds of partition layouts, restored the MBR, or just the
> bootstrap code area, set the boot flag (when needed), recovered with
> sfdsk, repaired etc.pp., but no chance, I can't boot the restored backup
> with VBox.
>
> The only difference is, that the real XP is installed on sdb1, but it
> was installed with sda disconnected, so when doing the install, sdb1
> quasi was sda1 and the GRUB chainloader fakes that drive 2 is drive 1.
>
> For the restored backup there is no GRUB and just one drive, so it's on
> sda1, but IMO this shouldn't matter.

When you say that the system can not boot, what does it do instead? Does
it give a bootloader-error or a Windows Bluescreen? I would expect it to
show a Bluescreen because that is what Windows usually does when a lot
of hardware (real -> vbox => all hardware) has changed. I once tried to
do the opposite: Make a real Windows out of a virtual one and it failed
with a Bluescreen which I expected. I wanted to use the Windows-Setup CD
to "repair" the installation but unfortunately the setup did not
recognize the hard drive. You might also try what happens when you use a
Windows-Setup CD in "repair" mode.

HTH
Linux-Fan

--