FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri May 23 07:31:21 UTC 2014

On 5/23/14, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2014 00:17:06 +1200
> Richard Hector <richard at walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
>> And in the case where the copyright has elapsed? The main point,
>> rather than my additional comment?
>
> Few of us will be alive when Jerry's works go out of copyright, given
> that even if he died this very day, his copyrights would expire in 70
> years. So why worry about that? A lot can happen between then and now.
>
> If you don't like that ridiculous copyright period, blame the guys who
> think they're perfectly in their rights to do unauthorized copying and
> distribution. They make Disney and Bono look downright virtuous, and
> dilute the credibility of those of us who want to change copyright
> period (and maximum damages) to sane amounts (and time periods).

I don't think that's a fact-backed position. There is evidence that
widespread uninhibited distribution increases sales overall.

Just because you (or I) say something, don't mean it's true.

Also the credibility of logic and positions doesn't change (to those
with enough brain cells to comprehend logic), just because of what one
or 5 million people do.

Cheers,
Zenaan