[Dbconfig-common-devel] dh_installdbc ?

browaeys.alban@wanadoo.fr browaeys.alban@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 02:51:51 +0200

Hi

I started using dbconfig-common and find it awkward that it does
not have a debhelper script.
Not to "install" the database itself but to install the sql
templates or scripts.
/usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/PACKAGE/install/DBTYPE

I started looking at dh_installdefoma though as i am new to
debhelper i won't achieve this soon (well monthes).
I choosed this one as it it is the only one i know yet. It
installs a "hints" file for the fonts  where approriate for the
defoma framework (the packager just have to provide it in debian/defoma-hints).
Defoma does way more (provides tools to build the hint file, ..)
such tools could be great here too. For example one that ask the
name of the database to create and the admin/anonymous permissions, then
building sql templates for all the requestd databases.

i am looking after using dbconfig-common for dspam (though i am
not part of the team yet, just trying it out).

I also read the gnumed thread from december and though the topic
of file db was told then i did not fully understodd how one can
manage it wiht dbconfig-common (pass through ?).
dspam support sqlite, berkeley db (and mysql , postgresql).
As it have no automatic db setup scripts , i find it a good
candidate for dbconfig-common.

Well i also wondered if one could use dbconfig-common on non
debian system (source install, without considering  the debconf dependency
problem). This in some sort of second hand api providing hooks
for make install and make uninstall).
I would be interested to know if dbconfig-common design conflict
with this goal (though i won't go further this road before a long
long time, debian is my system :)

Regards
Alban