[Dbconfig-common-devel] dh_installdbc ?

sean finney seanius@debian.org
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:24:02 -0400

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

hi alban,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:51:51AM +0200, browaeys.alban@wanadoo.fr wrote:
> I started using dbconfig-common and find it awkward that it does
> not have a debhelper script.
> Not to "install" the database itself but to install the sql
> templates or scripts.
> /usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/PACKAGE/install/DBTYPE

i think that may eventually come, but the problem with debhelper
scripts is that you kind of set things in stone once you provide
them, and i don't think things are quite ready for that.  i'd also
have to think about how to handle the dbc scripts running at
the end of the maintainer script instead of the beginning.  plus,
that's really the hardest part of the packaging, and everything
else is just a line in each maintainer script :)

> dspam support sqlite, berkeley db (and mysql , postgresql).
> As it have no automatic db setup scripts , i find it a good
> candidate for dbconfig-common.

if you'd really like to help out, i think it would be cool to add
in these new dbtypes (especially sqlite, which i don't know too
much about).

> Well i also wondered if one could use dbconfig-common on non
> debian system (source install, without considering  the debconf dependency
> problem). This in some sort of second hand api providing hooks
> for make install and make uninstall).=20

i think the design of this project leaves room for other package
management systems and installers, though i don't know of any
that have an installation interfaces sophisticated enough to do
this.  also, being a debian guy i have more interest in getting it
to work well on my own systems first :)

	sean

--=20

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw