[Debburn-devel] Kernel configuration wrt burning

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Mon Aug 20 14:57:11 UTC 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 at 10:12:23 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> What kind of quality do you have in mind ?
> Speed (throughput) or reliability ?

Reliability. I've burned some coasters in the past and I'm looking to minimize
the risk to burn another. :)

There was a FAQ in one of the latest c't magazine issues (German computer mag)
that said choosing the right media for your burner is the first step. They
also suggested Yuden and Sony media because both produce their own media so
there shouldn't be much of a difference between batches.

Another thing that they suggested was burning at lower speeds. That's why I'm
burning DVD+R 16x at 8x. They wrote that going slower than half the rated
speed wouldn't get you a noticeable improvement in quality .

Another step I've taken is to setuid the burning apps. My distribution didn't
do that. Also I increased the fifo buffer from 4MB to 32MB, though it seems
32MB is what growisofs uses as the default.

If there's anything else I can do I believe it's in my kernel configuration.
If anybody could shed some light I'd appreciate that.

Regards
Sebastian