[Debburn-devel] GnomeBaker/Debian

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Nov 10 12:59:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

> genisoimage: Missing pathspec.
> Usage: genisoimage [options] -o file directory ...

This is obviously program genisoimage complaining that
it was not told what content the image shall have.

It wants some disk file or directory address. It would
accept more than one.

> Only sometimes I can burn CD-RW disk without failure.
> [...]
> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 C3 B0 00 00 1F 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x00 (write error) Fru 0x0

This is rather a matter of program wodim.

It failed to write 0x1F = 31 blocks to block address
0xC3B0 = 50096 decimal. A block has 2048 byte.

So wodim was in the middle of writing data when the
error occured.

The SCSI error code means what wodim already stated:
  3 0C 00 WRITE ERROR

Given the fact that the drive liked the media for the
first 50000 blocks i would say that either media or
drive are damaged.

(The other well known reasons reasons like drive-media
incompatibility or interference by hald are unlikely after
180 seconds of happy burning.)

> however the Data seem to be on the Disk.

Beware. Not more than 100 MB were written.

What you see is probably the ISO image
directory tree and a truncated data area.
Some files might bear correct content, some
might show false content, some might produce
I/O errors on attempt to read them.

If you know about the intended size of the ISO
image then you can estimate the percentage of
data lost.

To check the data content at least for I/O errors
pipe the mounted CD-RW through an archiver. Like:
  mount /media/cdrom
  tar cvf - /media/cdrom | wc

(Expect a lot of file names and/or error messages
on stderr.)

You should try to get some different CD-RW media.
Preferrably a different brand.
If all media turn out to be unreliable then you
have to consider you burner to be damaged.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas