[Debburn-devel] wodim -- on sony DVD-RW

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Mar 22 16:57:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

> > Do you get the same error messages from the LG ?
> It's not present... attaching log.
> However in this case, the media is not empty, it appears to have the
> data properly written.

Ahum. Either the problem is volatile (not uncommon with DVD-RW)
or you have to correct your perception about the usability of
the media on the LG drive.

I assume you did not blank it between the failed run on the Samsung
and the successful run on the LG.
That means the RESERVE TRACK command on the Samsung had no effect.
At least now there is only one track with a bit less than 2 MB.

> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
>  Track State:           complete
>  Track Start Address:   0*2KB
>  Free Blocks:           0*2KB
>  Track Size:            608*2KB
>  Last Recorded Address: 598*2KB
> [...]
> READ CAPACITY:          599*2048=1226752

This was a DAO run. (Else the read capacity would be divisible by 16.)
This means the media was effectively blank before the LG run.

> Nero (4) shows a
> few warnings and by the end it says burning failed,

This puts weight on the theory of volatile errors.

I guess you will have to make a larger set of tests and have to
be open to the idea that the different results are not necessarily
because of different programs being used.
We all cook with the same water: SCSI, especially SPC and MMC.

I personally made bad experiences with 4x DVD-RW media of Verbatim
and Ritek. They work for three runs, then fail reliably for a few
tests, then suddenly work again. I believed to see cdrskin
fail whereas growisofs succeeds ... only to learn that it can as
well be vice versa. I wasted substantial debugging time.

> One thing remains common among all burners; they take insanely long
> time to finalize the disk (like 5 minutes).

A long overhead after a short recording is quite normal for DAO on
DVD-R[W] although 5 minutes sounds a bit unusual.
Well, it's 2x media. 5 minutes = 800 MB. Everything below 1 GB
for a DVD-RW DAO recording is still ok.

> attaching log.

I only see one text line in debug_lg:
 "wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits."
which is harmless.

But if the run succeeded then it is of interest only for comparison
with future failed runs on the same drive.
(Although they all have to obey the same specs, the drives do show
 individual habits.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas