[Debburn-devel] Mid-life-crisis switch to Linux development

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Feb 6 14:41:45 UTC 2012

Hi,

> 2. How can I participate in the development and propagation of
> genisoimage

Well ... there is actually not much development happening with genisoimage.

I am developer of an alternative, named xorriso. It can do many things
which genisoimage can do, and many other things more.
(Main shortcomming from my view is the lack of UDF filesystem support.
 The debian-cd team would like to see HFS filesystem support.)

> Why I ended up here is because I guess my previous moments using Brasero
> to extract a Opensuse 11.4 DVD into ISO was buggish

If you want to copy the DVD content to hard disk as a single file which
shall be mountable as ISO filesystem, then you only need vanilla tools:

  dd if=/dev/dvd of=image.iso

> i found i could use genisoimage to extract iso images from CDs and DVD

genisoimage is normally used to compose an ISO filesystem from multiple
files. It has some capabilities for reading and interpreting ISO filesystems,
but i am not aware that it could extract files from ISO filesystems or copy
whole filesystems to hard disk.

With xorriso there are commands for checking and copying media:
 -check_media with option data_to=
and for extracting  particular files out of the ISO image to disk:
 -extract
See http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/man_1_xorriso.html

But maybe i get your use case wrong. Can you illustrate it by an example ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas