[Debian-eeepc-devel] package for eeepc-linux for overclocking

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Fri Aug 8 06:02:09 UTC 2008

-=| Paul Menzel, Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 03:22:54AM +0200 |=-
> unfortunately Murphy’s law was true today and the EeePC 701 4G I own
> does not support a resolution of 1680 * 1050 [1] and is probably running
> in “powersaving mode”. Some questions.

It does support that. Oh, you mean playing video in fullscreen.
Probably right.

> 1. How can I verify in what mode it is running?

Unless you  have done something about it, it is on the low-powered
mode.

> 2. There is a Linux kernel module called eeepc-linux [2] which can
> change the FSB.
>
> a) Does somebody use it? Also with linux-image-2.6.26-1-686?

I used it some time ago with 2.6.24, I think. My experience was that
it makes the cpu hotter and thus the fan had to spin faster to keep it
cool. The noise was noticable. So I dropped the whole idea.

> b) If yes, can she/he provide a deb-package?

> 3. Does somebody have a script which if power by the AC adapter is
> used
> switches to 900 MHz and when it is on battery to 630 MHz? (In my case
> this would be useful since when it is on AC probably the 22" monitor is
> connected.)

This shouldn't be so hard to manage. Check what events
plugging/unplugging the AC generates with acpi_listen, then add
corresponding handler scripts in /etc/acpi.d/events

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org