[Debian-eeepc-devel] package for eeepc-linux for overclocking

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 8 07:45:41 UTC 2008

Dear Damyan,

Am Freitag, den 08.08.2008, 09:02 +0300 schrieb Damyan Ivanov:
> -=| Paul Menzel, Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 03:22:54AM +0200 |=-
> > unfortunately Murphy’s law was true today and the EeePC 701 4G I own
> > does not support a resolution of 1680 * 1050 [1] and is probably running
> > in “powersaving mode”. Some questions.
>
> It does support that.

According to the posts in the reference and my experience from
yesterday, it does not support that when it is running with 630 MHz
which seems to be the case with newer BIOS versions so with later
delivered models.

> Oh, you mean playing video in fullscreen.
> Probably right.

No.

> > 1. How can I verify in what mode it is running?
>
> Unless you  have done something about it, it is on the low-powered
> mode.

Is there a sysfs-entry? In 2.6.26 /proc is not supported anymore, is it?
So no /proc/cpuinfo?

> > 2. There is a Linux kernel module called eeepc-linux [2] which can
> > change the FSB.
> >
> > a) Does somebody use it? Also with linux-image-2.6.26-1-686?
>
> I used it some time ago with 2.6.24, I think. My experience was that
> it makes the cpu hotter and thus the fan had to spin faster to keep it
> cool. The noise was noticable. So I dropped the whole idea.

These are the experience in the Internet too. That is why a think Asus
is underclocking the EeePC to 630 MHz in newer BIOS versions.

> > b) If yes, can she/he provide a deb-package?
>
> > 3. Does somebody have a script which if power by the AC adapter is
> > used
> > switches to 900 MHz and when it is on battery to 630 MHz? (In my case
> > this would be useful since when it is on AC probably the 22" monitor is
> > connected.)
>
> This shouldn't be so hard to manage. Check what events
> plugging/unplugging the AC generates with acpi_listen, then add
> corresponding handler scripts in /etc/acpi.d/events

Does somebody have experience with detect-laptop?

Thanks,

Paul