[Debian-eeepc-devel] package for eeepc-linux for overclocking

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 8 12:11:32 UTC 2008

Dear Ben,

Am Freitag, den 08.08.2008, 07:50 -0300 schrieb Ben Armstrong:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:36:02 +0200
> Davide Cavalca <davide125 at tiscali.it> wrote:
> > There's also a cpufreq driver available at
> > http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=33115
> > but I was unable to make it work on my lenny system. Maybe the two could
> > be combined somehow?
>
> While interesting, and I encourage users interested in such things to
> lend their support upstream however they can, testing new releases and
> filing bugs, until these things are accepted in the kernel, they won't
> be supported by debian-eeepc.  See our goal in "About us":
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/
>
> "We follow the CustomDebian approach, ensuring Debian meets the needs of
> a subset of Debian users: in this case, Eee PC users. We make Debian
> itself run on your Eee, not a fork."
>
> So far, the only reason atl2 and atl1e were packaged separately is
> because we had an assurance it was being worked on to go into the
> kernel.  Same thing with madwifi-eeepc-source -- this was an interim
> workaround for madwifi-source in non-free not yet supporting the Eee
> (which has since been fixed).

Well I thought it was a place to make it easier to test things out and
fix some bugs before they are good enough enter Debian.

> If overclocking and fan control are not suitable to include in the
> kernel, I have to wonder why not.

Do you mean in general or in this particular case of eeepc-linux? Was
there a request to include it into Linux?

> I have asked more than once on irc
> several people who are interested whether they would take charge of
> this and see if we can get some answers, but nobody has risen to the
> challenge yet.

To be honest I do not much know about all this stuff. I just know that
1680 * 1050 resolution on VGA is not supported on the EeePC a friend of
mine owns and the 22" monitor cannot be used.

Looking at [1] it appears that not much is going on since January 2008
and there are some patches. So this can mean it is working alright for
the project owner or it is developed somewhere else or something else.

So who do you think could be questioned to this regard?

So it would be nice to get some feedback under Debian, so that I can
save myself some problems others already have fixed.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://code.google.com/p/eeepc-linux/downloads/list