[Debian-eeepc-devel] xorg.conf: Option "XkbVariant" "eeepc"

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 11 21:50:21 UTC 2008

Dear list,

while trying to fix the 1680 * 1080 resolution problem, I copied the
xorg.conf from the original Xandros to my setup with Debian Lenny.

The user then told me that the umlaut keys (ä, ö,ü, ß, …) were not
functioning anymore. In /var/log/Xorg.0.log was the following message.

(EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap

Under [1] some special modifications were made
to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/de.

1. Should this be added to the Debian Wiki (FAQ?)?
2. Should a bug be filed to add this to the X server? Is this best at
freedesktop.org?
3. Should the custom installer be adapted to add this to the xorg.conf
(at least for German users)? Probably this is not possible and even not
desired?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.kruedewagen.de/wiki/index.php/EeePC#Symbols