[Debian-eeepc-devel] WARNING regarding 2.6.26

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Aug 29 13:37:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:29:37 +0200
Axel Beckert <abe at deuxchevaux.org> wrote:
> I and probably most others on the list would be happy if you give
> reasons for you advice and then decide ourself if we still want to
> install or not, especially since many of us are running 2.6.26 from
> Sid and it didn't have that many and especially no non-workaroundable
> problems.

http://bugs.debian.org/494546 for starters.  Also, the issue with
thermal, but at least there's a workaround for that.

It appears 494546 just affects 701/900 owners.  Also, we just found:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=1b7fc5aae8867046f8d3d45808309d5b7f2e036a

This "fix" is in 2.6.27-rc4.  But Robert confirmed that after changing
brightness on his 701 with this kernel, ACPI still stops.  Most users
would consider this fairly serious breakage.

> This sentence is not true, since you're talking about 2.6.26 in Lenny
> while it is in Sid since a while and nobody warned about Sid.

The difference is that we don't recommend Sid to users.  But you are
correct, the problem exists in Sid, too.

Perhaps you may find it in your heart to forgive Robert for firing off
the quick warning without details?  We weren't deliberately trying to
conceal things, but just issue a heads-up that it's not a good time to
upgrade.  We hope to prepare an acceptable patch for the problem for
debian-kernel to apply soon.  Help with this is welcome.

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org