[Debian-eeepc-devel] Problems setting up gnome-osd with LXDE (Openbox) (was: Re: performance of gnome-osd)

Damyan Ivanov dam at modsoftsys.com
Wed Sep 3 12:01:03 UTC 2008

-=| Paul Menzel, Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:40:30PM +0200 |=-

I said GNOME, not LXDE :)

> > If you already have gnome (or most of it) installed,
>
> I think LXDE uses Openbox, which uses GTK and I have Epiphany and GDM
> installed, which almost pulled in all the stuff from GNOME.

GNOME is more than the libraries -- there is also the session stuff,
panels etc. Basically, you need to start a GNOME session for the
gnome-osd to work. (Well a full-blown gnome-session may be a bit
extra, but I don't see the point of finding the minimal set of
components it takes. After all, it would be as heavy as the full
session).

> > just add gnome-osd package and set ENABLE_OSD to 'yes'.
> > Logout/login for the gnome-osd bridge to start and trigger some
> > notifications.
>
> $ sudo aptitude install gnome-osd
> $ sudo vim /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts
> $ cat /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts
> # by default OSD output of function keys is disabled because it's too slow
> # set to yes if you want fancy osd overlayS
> ENABLE_OSD='yes'
> OSD_FONT='DejaVuSans 36'
> […]
>
> $ sudo invoke-rc.d acpid restart # I do not know if that was needed.
> Stopping ACPI services....
> Starting ACPI services....
> $ # logout/login, just to make sure
> $ gnome-osd-event-bridge &

Nah, this process is started up automatically when you start the GNOME
session.

> XChat monitoring is not working: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xchat.service was not provided by any .service files
> $ # Nothing happens, when I change the backlight or volume.
> $ gnome-osd-client -f "<message id=’myplugin’ osd_fake_translucent_bg=’on’ osd_vposition=’center’ animations=’off’ hide_timeout=’1000’ osd_halignment=’right’>Volume: 96%</message>"
> ServerError: <class 'xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError'>: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 12
> $ # Bug?

Not a bug. The ’ symbol you pasted from the manual page is not vali
XML. Use ' instead.

All in all, the gnome-osd support is targetted at users of GNOME (the
full-blown desktop environment). If you want to run it under LXDE,
better find an analogous servise for LXDE (lxde-osd, anyone?). I have
no idea if such thing exists.

If somebody more knoweledgable in KDE than me can hand me a script
that does OSD the KDE-way, I will happily integrate that too.  XFCE
too, or whatever you use.

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org