[Debian-eeepc-devel] Auto-select VGA mode

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Sep 11 17:12:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:27:16 -0300
Luiz Eduardo Guaraldo <guaraldo at universolivre.com.br> wrote:
> So, as I know a little bit of bash scripting, I made some changes to let
> it find the best resolution of the VGA display automatically and I want
> to share it.

Thanks.  But please see the TODO in the eeepc-acpi-scripts source.  We
had some different ideas about what to do with this.  The reason it is
hardwired now is not for lack of a way to get the best resolution
(xrandr --auto should give you that) but because we used the default
--same-as arrangement for the displays.  Since the Eee's display is
relatively small, I don't think that makes sense anymore.  A more
reasonable default is to support LCD-only, xinerama (the
desktop is split across multiple displays), and VGA-only.  What
prevented us from doing this before is we could not count on knowing
how the user had configured the "Virtual" size in xorg.conf (the Intel
driver sets this by default to be too small for both displays).  But in
the TODO there is some example code for how we might discover the
Virtual size in a script.  I just haven't had the time yet to turn that
into working code.

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org