[Debian-eeepc-devel] Touchpad on 901

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Sat Sep 13 15:36:10 UTC 2008

-=| Phil Endecott, Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 03:22:59PM +0100 |=-
> As I understand it, the touchpad on the '901 is not properly
> recognised by Debian's X (see HowTo / Configure / Xorg / Touchpad
> Scrolling in the Wiki).  It is treated as a "default mouse", which
> means that you can't enable/disable features like two-finger
> scrolling, tap-to-click etc.  (For me, both of these features are ON
> by default - but it seems as if other people find them OFF by
> default.)  IIUC it's necessary for the X synaptics driver and/or the
> kernel synaptics driver to recognise it, which neither does.

The touchpad on my eee 901 works just fine (with the generic PS/2
mouse  driver in x.org). I can scroll up/down when sliding two fingers
over it. I can click by tapping with one finger. I can click the
second mouse button when tappingg with two fingers. I can even click
the third mouse button by tapping with three fingers.

I've heard that the Xandros install on the 901 has more features,
namely zooming in/out in applications "that support it" by sliding two
fingers in opposite directions/towards each other. This doesn't work
here.

> I just wanted to check if anyone here is aware of any fixes or ongoing
> investigation into this.  Presumably the default ASUS Linux has a
> patch, but I don't think the Xorg license requires them to publish it.
> But maybe they have done anyway.  Does anyone here know anything?

I've read somewhere that the touchpad in 901 is not synaptics but
'Alps' something. I don't know if Asus published anything, but if they
did, the logical place to look for it is the source tarball
distributed from their site.

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org