[Debian-eeepc-devel] installation onto

Richard Minutillo rgminutillo at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 00:38:08 UTC 2008

I've been attempting to install the 20080907 image to an SD card in the internal SD slot of my 4G. I noted the comment on the wiki and read the referenced thread about SD card issues, but I've had no other issues with the SD card reader under normal Xandros operations, and I have a late BIOS (0901.) In any event, here's what is happening to me:

No problems copying the IMG to a USB stick and booting it. If I boot with an SD card in the internal reader (any card) the installation appears to  hang before the first 'choose language' dialog, If I pop out the card the installation proceeds normally, but as soon as I insert the SD card the installation appears to hang and the alt console displays "end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 7812088" among other messages.

I get this problem with all of the SD cards I have tested, and I get it whether  I'm booting on battery power or plugged in.

If I wait long enough (several minutes) the installation picks up after each apparant hang, but each hardware detection (including network interface detection) takes several minutes to get through and, utimately, when I finally get to the partitioner, it does not find the SD card, only the boot stick and the internal flash drive!

If I attempt a stick-to stick installation, by-passing the internal card reader, no issues.

I'd really like to try debian on the eeepc, and I's really like to install it on and boot it off the internal card reader. Suggestions welcome.

RGM