[Debian-eeepc-devel] Squeeze release goals

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Oct 11 22:48:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:41:40 +0200
Luca Niccoli <lultimouomo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see that happening before squeeze.
> I don't think ATM rt2800pci is even usable, and it still uses the
> ralink firmware.
> So I'd rather see this as a Squeeze+1 goal.

I thought they were making some progress on this recently, but I
haven't spoken with them in a while, so I don't know if it's realistic
or not.  But it's a fairly important one, so if we can't go to rt2x00,
could we see if we could get the existing driver to load without the
firmware?

> >  - we also need a working atl1c driver for new models that use it
>
> Which kernel will get in squeeze? I think the driver in 2.6.31 should work.

I'm hoping at least 2.6.31, if not 2.6.32.

> >  - in addition to the driver issue above, we need to resolve the
> > conflict between acpi-support and eeepc-acpi-scripts for this to work
>
> Couldn't we divert the needed files from acpi-support?

Ugh.  Diversion is a last resort measure.  It would be better to work
with the acpi-support maintainers to resolve the conflicts in a more
graceful manner.