[Debian-eeepc-devel] /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts configuration

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Sep 20 14:56:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:08:39 -0700
Trevor Chart <trevor.chart at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize that the reason for splitting out
> brightness is different (we don't,  to my knowledge, handle brightness),

Actually, no, that isn't it.  It's that brightness change is
self-evident, so there is no reason to notify.

This project should work on mainstreaming its work more, not
differentiating more.  Our OSD is a hack that fills a need that should
be filled in a more general way.  When we looked at other OSD
notification systems, they did not fit with the desire to have a
minimal system (i.e. not depending on GNOME/KDE infrastructure).  Until
a viable alternative appears, we do the minimum necessary to fill that
void.  I would rather we not layer on more complexity here but keep the
feature set small and light.  It is easy to give users more features,
but much harder to take them away.  In an ideal world, the whole
eeepc-acpi-scripts package would not exist.  There would be an OSD
solution that meets our needs and would work on any hardware.