[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts integration: please test

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Thu May 13 04:38:15 UTC 2010

-=| Luca Niccoli, Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:55:41PM +0200 |=-

> >> Fn+F2 is the wireless toggle, why would one need a power manager to use it?
> >
> > Sorry, Fn+F1 (Zz)
>
> Then no, you shouldn't need a power manager: if one is running,
> acpi-support steps back; but it there is none, it should try to
> suspend itself.
> I'll look into it.

A reboot seems to have solved the problem. Closing the lid now locks
the display and suspends. *sigh*

> > Keeping the copy current with the "main" ones is far from trivial.
>
> Mmm?
> I would expect it to be the same effort as now, you just have to
> vimdiff your script with the new one in /usr/share/.
> dpkg will keep the event rule untouched so you won't have to change it again.

The only problem is that I won't get notified when the "main" script
is changed, which I would, if it is in /etc

> > How so? There is a small handwork involved (vimdiff to the rescue!)
>
> It is a pain from the package maintenance POV: since users are
> entitled to change them and expect their changes be preserved, you
> can't expect them to be up-to-date.
> You must assume that they don't do what you expect them to do, and
> this is a pain.
> This other way, a user can set acpid to execute his own script, fine,
> but our scripts do what they're supposed to.
>
> Think about having to preserve changes that a user could do to a
> python program in /usr/bin; wouldn't that be madness?

Putting things in /usr just makes it inconvenient to change, not
impossible. I'd expect people fiddling with /etc (or /usr) to be able
to keep the changes sane.

> This whole scripts-in-/etc/acpi thing has already caused big
> troubles:
> IIRC acpid used to ship some of them, and people customized them,
> until at a certain point the maintainer (or upstream maybe) decided
> that they weren't supposed to be there and purged them.
> People started shouting, and there was madness, and there was blood.
> That's why I think that scripts should be keep far away from /etc/

It doesn't help. You get the shouting now too, don't you? :)

The solution would be to make the scripts so good, that they don't
need any local changes. Not very easy, it seems to me, as new models
could need new workarounds. I find the need to change the scripts
normal, and making this harder a mis-feature. I haven't witnessed any
problems with eeepc-acpi-scripts caused by local script changes.

For example, I don't want the 'Wireless ...' notification before
'Wireless On/OFF'. Since other people seem to like it, one way to
please everyone would be to add yet another configuration variable.
Another is to let me change the script locally.

Of course, one could argue that all the user notification stuff
doesn't belong in eeepc-acpi-scripts in the first place and escape
this particular can of worms.