[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts integration: please test

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Thu May 13 08:21:32 UTC 2010

On 13 May 2010 06:38, Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:

> The only problem is that I won't get notified when the "main" script
> is changed, which I would, if it is in /etc

Well, as long as your own modified script works, I don't see why you
should backport changes.
When it stops working, there is your notification :)

> Putting things in /usr just makes it inconvenient to change, not
> impossible. I'd expect people fiddling with /etc (or /usr) to be able
> to keep the changes sane.

It's not that they can't change things; the point is that it's their
responsibility, they deal with the consequences.
With conffiles, it works the other way around; the maintainer MUST
preserve changes and provide migration paths.
This is something of utter importance, since it keeps maintaining and
upgrading a debian box from becoming an horrible nightmare; but
applying it to scripts is an abuse IMO.

> It doesn't help. You get the shouting now too, don't you? :)

Not really, since the user just needs to point the event rule back to
his own script.
Back then, scripts were gone, and local modifications joined the
bleeding choir invisible with them...

> Of course, one could argue that all the user notification stuff
> doesn't belong in eeepc-acpi-scripts in the first place and escape
> this particular can of worms.

Well, to be more precise the whole wireless toggling stuff doesn't
belong to eeepc-acpi-scripts, so the can of worms is twice removed....
Cheers,

Luca