[Debian-eeepc-devel] How to deal with the freeze?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Nov 16 12:22:52 UTC 2010

On 11/08/2010 12:53 PM, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> On 8 November 2010 16:28, Luca Niccoli <lultimouomo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At this point I' thinking the solution could be just to watch for
>> hotkey events, and plainly ignore buttons - are there buttons that
>> generate only button events?
>
> I've committed a new branch - hotkey-only - to git.debian.org that does this.
> It uses netlink events since new kernels or acpids don't generate the
> old ATKD events anymore.
> acpid should properly support netlink since 2.0.0-1, that migrated to
> squeeze on the first of January.
> To test this version, you'd better move back to the one in unstable
> and then upgrade agains - otherwise since there is no version bump
> from the previous unreleased one you'll get some leftover conffiles.
> I'm testing it right now and it seems working both on 2.6.32 and 2.6.36

Uh-oh ... I think we screwed up on this.  I obtained a backport of
eeepc_wmi from upstream and applied it against 2.6.32.  If I boot
without the acpi_osi="Linux" hack and load eeepc_wmi instead of
eeepc_laptop, it is generating only button events!  Now what?  How about
we re-introduce button handling, test for eeepc_wmi module being loaded
and use buttons if it is, otherwise use hotkeys?