[Debian-eeepc-devel] EEEPC 1005HGO + ppp-2.4.5-4 + O2

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jan 22 13:18:15 UTC 2011

Dear Hans,

Am Samstag, den 22.01.2011, 13:47 +0100 schrieb Hans-J. Ullrich:
> Am Samstag, 22. Januar 2011 schrieb Paul Menzel:

> it seems, I have a fancy system. Obviously I am the only one in the world, who
> got problems with ppp from squeeze and suspend-to-disk in squeeze on my EEEPC.

I doubt it. It only seems you are the only one using O2 with PPP 2.4.5
or Suspend-to-disk with your Eee PC model.

> So, I think, I am better keep quiet and waiting for bugreports of other
> people, who will maybe confirm or deny the same problems, when squeeze is
> officially out.

Although that is one solution, I would prefer to get these problems
resolved before Squeeze is released. The question is more if you are
doing the “formal” stuff like writing messages or submitting bug reports
or someone else is doing it. Of course you might be lucky that a more
knowledgeable person in that area hits these problems and fixes them
right away.

> In the meantime I got my solution: a) setting ppp to hold

Could you at least please update your report with that information, so
that people are aware what solution you chose.

> and b) do not use suspend-to-disk. I think both problems will be fixed
> in the future anyway.

It might be quicker, when you report that problem.

> Of course I will go on finding out, what makes my system do not work properly
> and if I find the reason, I will report it, no doubt. This avoids also people
> saying: Look, Hans wining again. :))
>
> > I agree with Julien [3] that your best chances to get this resolved are
> > to contact the debian-user or debian-user-german list where hopefully
> > more knowledgeable than me will be able to help. This problem is quite
> > off-topic to the Debian-eeepc-devel list.
>
> No, sorry, I need a developer, because only he knows, what he did change in
> code since the last version. Scripts have changed, code has changed, but as I
> am no coder, I cannot check for it.

I assure you there are a lot of capable people reading debian-user who
are able to read and understand code and help you. At least try it.

> > (By the way, if you have another system where Debian is running with
> > this `ppp` version then you could compare the behavior or try some live
> > CD which uses PPP 2.4.5. But I doubt that it is Eee PC related. Also you
> > could send a log with `2.4.4rel-10.1` for comparison.)
>
> No, sorry, I have no other system, where I can test it.

Understood.

[…]

> Anyway, I am very thankfull for your response at all. Only very few people
> reacted.

It always depends how much spare time everyone has. A lot of people
helped me when I had problems.

> I promise, not to make noise again.

I hope that is not the impression you got of the reaction. I think your
reports were very useful and only got to the wrong list.

So if you have not given up yet, I would recommend the following for you
to do.

PPP: Send a message to `debian-user` and update your bug report with the
link to your message in the `debian-user` archive and that you put the
old package on hold for now.

Suspend-to-disk: Could you in the log files pinpoint, when this problem
started? If not please submit a report against the Linux kernel package,
because I think that is the most probably culprit. My experience is that
the maintainers are very responsive there.

Thanks and good luck,

Paul