Fwd: [Debian-hebrew-common] libhdate uploaded

amos at amos.mailshell.com amos at amos.mailshell.com
Sat Dec 3 21:52:09 UTC 2005

On 12/4/05, Lior Kaplan
<kaplanlior.at.gmail.com at amos.at.amos.mailshell.com> wrote:
> kobi zamir wrote:
> >>Kobi - can you make the tutorial (text, not flash) ?
> >
> > Yes, It will take some time (time is a problem), it will be based on
> > shoshanas tutorial:
> >
> > http://www.xslf.com/archives/000100.html
> >

> HELL NO! That's not the Debian way. You have prefect packages in
> unstable, and should use them... not build from sources or use alien!

Or maybe better yet - use http://www.backports.org.
PAY ATTENTION to the in installation instructions! They don't recommand you
to put a sweeping "deb http://www.backports.org..." line in
sources.list but something
like:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable package ...

For OOo2 which is still pending to arrive to stable I used:

deb http://www.backports.org/pending/openoffice.org/ ./

And the installation went smoothly on stable.

Firefox 1.5rc3 is also available under pending. I just installed the original
final version of firefox 1.5 from mozilla.org, even though it's
against "the debian way"
(which I like very much).

> it should be something as:
> add unstable sources to sources.list
> apt-get update
> apt-get -t unstable install openoffice.org
> remove the unstable sources
> apt-get update (so next installation won't use unstable).
> done.

That procedure has a high risk of leaving your system broken because
usually everything somehow depends on a newer version of a "base" package,
that's also why there is "apt-get dist-upgrade" for jumping to newer debian
versions (you may tweak the decision with /etc/apt/preferences but if you go
this way then you'll have to supply a correct copy of this file to the newbies).

> Lior Kaplan
> kaplanlior at gmail.com
> http://www.Guides.co.il

--Amos
--
"[a grizzly] can tear through a tree like a Jewish
mother through self-esteem."           - The Simpsons