[Debian-np-devel] OOo -> DocBook XML

Benj. Mako Hill debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:47:05 -0700

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

Ola,

The report that is in SVN at the moment is in OpenOffice.org
format. A number of people have suggested that we move this into a
format that is better suited to version control and then release,
adapt, extend, and maintain the document.

The format that people seem to agree is the right one is DocBook. It's
the markup language that's being used for Debian documentation, for
HOWTOs, for many technical books, and much else. The only problem
seems to be that I'm basically the only one that knows DocBook well.

If you update your SVN working copy you'll see that I've split=20
trunk/docs/report/ into two subdirs. One contains the OOo source split
into files and the other contains new DocBook XML source split into
files. The DocBook files are almost all just empty files.

If people that have already volunteered (or others) want to take this
opportunity to learn DocBook, this is a great way to learn. I've
already done the report-master.xml doc which will source the others
and I've done the intro as an example.

I've also created a README.txt document with links to online and
downloadable docbook documentation and examples. You can install the
package "docbook-defguide" as well which is good as a reference but
not great as a book to read through in my example. I've also listed
places you can look for tools that will help you out with writing
DocBook. DB is *very* verbose so good tools will be your friend.

If people have questions, I should response to messages with my name
in them on the Debian-NP IRC channel.

Regards,
Mako

--=20