[Debian-np-devel] Binary files, big problems

Micah Anderson debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:06:45 -0500

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:29:24PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > I was thinking about what is currently did in subversion in doc/
> > directory and is really good produce documentation and reports *but*
> > this should be done in a better format, IMHO.
>
> I think you're preaching to the choir. I can't speak for everyone else
> but even if OOo produce non-binary-blob documentation, I'd still
> advocate using something else. :)

Indeed, I think we are almost finished with the docbook conversion of
these files. All that remains is the personas appendix and the
calendar. It would be nice to also put anchors in for the Appendix
references in the files that reference them, but I dont know how this
can be done without merging everything in one file (mako?)

Mako said that he'd do the calendar, since it isn't easy, and I've
held off doing the personas in case someone else wanted to get their
hands dirty and learn some docbook.

> Micah can c correct me if I'm wrong but I think Micah made the
> executive decision to go with OOo format because we had to get this
> report, formatted and gleaming, delivered in a very short amount of
> time he didn't want introduce another technology (and variable) into
> the equation. The folks getting this report won't be too interested in
> the way we can create conflicts as a result. :)

Yeah, thats right... plus I didn't know docbook/sgml format. However,
I didn't really know openoffice either, but I learned a lot about it
while doing this, mostly thanks to enrico who taught me a lot.

Micah