[Debian-olpc-devel] sugar

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 12:50:19 UTC 2008

Hello all,

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Holger Levsen <holger at layer-acht.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> taking this to the list...
>
> On Friday 28 March 2008 20:46, Jani wrote:
> > squeak-vm has just landed in Ubuntu Hardy so I'll be looking into
> packaging
> > etoys.
>
> Did you contact the debian maintainer of squeak-vm about this?

The Ubuntu package was made in collaboration with Debian packagers. I am not
aware of
etoys in the current one, although it would help.

> > etoys is a separate image for the squeak VM from my limited knowledge of
> > all things squeak so far.
>
> As far as I know the changes are very little and inclusion in the main
> squeak
> vm is progressing...

great, as I said I am not very familiar with squeak/etoys and how it is best
packaged.

> > modified evince: it has python bindings patch in OLPC but not sent
> > upsstream. Definitely not debian material
> > until it's upstream.
>
> Is the patch so low quality or why do you think its not ready for Debian?

I am not sure about it's quality. The fact that it is not a bugfix but adds
a new interface
to evince which is not upstream and hence may change in the future makes it
an extra burden.

The patch can be extracted from sugar's jhbuild system, evince-olpc package
uses this patch and is
based on an evince from 2007 IIRC. My questins on the evince list a month or
so ago about the issue
were not answered
see this thread for more info.

http://www.mail-archive.com/evince-list@gnome.org/msg01001.html

anyway evince and squeak are non-core sugar things the rest of Sugar and
activities can be packaged
independently of these upstreams and stiull get a prestty functional system
Naturally when 3rd party non-sugar
apps are dealt with the pace is slowed down depending on upstream schedules
and maintainers' availability.

Jani
Jani