[Debian-olpc-devel] Adding additional uploaders + sugar-toolkit release

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jun 9 14:26:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:47:54AM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On 06/08/2010 07:05 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 03:36:03PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>>> Would it be a faux pas for me to add myself as an uploader of
>>> sugar-toolkit and some other sugar collab-maint packages, as well as
>>> setting DMUA to yes?
>>
>> I do not understand "faux pas",
>
>A "misstep" in French, it means something that is against the custom.

Ah, makes sense.

I guess there are no one "custom" with Debian, so asking one time too
many is better than one too few :-)

...only way I can imagine that general principle working badly is if the
questions seem to be sloppy - i.e. if it seems you ask to avoid thinking
for yourself.  And it is not my experience that you have this flaw, so
fire away all questions you may have :-D

>Some individuals have disliked it when I have set DMUA on packages I
>submit for sponsoring etc, so I thought it was best to be ask first.

I sure appreciate that you asked.  Indeed I (like other developers, I
can easily imagine) would find it rude if you handed me a package and
requested me to release it officially in Debian, and the package had
DMUA set without either a) you had asked me ahead if that was ok with me
to do or b) you at least explicitly made me aware of it when handing me
the package.

I see it as comparable to writing a contract and then include tricky
sections written with tiny letters: DMUA is passing trust, which should
be treated seriously.

>> but feel free to add yourself as uploader + tag as DMUA those
>> packages that you actively intend to concretely be involved in
>> maintaining.  I should then upload once for the DMUA to take effect
>> and after that we can both upload those packages.
>
>Okay. I mentioned sugar-toolkit in my original email, but I was really
>referring to sugar-0.88

...and I responded generally for all "packages that you actively intend
to concretely be involved in maintaining" within this team.

...and I mean not only you, but all team members.  Hope I make myself
clear :-)

Good that you take it seriously.  Continue to do so when working with
other teams in Debian - disregarding that I happen to be relaxed about
it in practice here.

Kind regards, and thanks for all your great work here,

  - Jonas