[Debian-ports-devel] debian-ports archive moving

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon May 30 20:41:58 UTC 2016

On 05/30/2016 10:17 PM, John David Anglin wrote:
> I'm not sure.  My time is limited and I don't think I have time to research haskell binNMUs on
> other architectures

That's why my suggestion was to use the script that Michael has written. If we can make the
binNMUs a tad bit less manual, we had one problem less to care about. And since I naturally
all want binNMUs to be triggered when they are necessary, I'm all for automating this at
least for the Haskell packages where frequent binNMUs are necessary.

> On hppa, I tend to trigger rebuilds without doing any research as to why
> any given haskell package is missing.

This is bad, really. Please don't do that.

> Some people don't like the lack of info in the rebuild comment.

And for a very good reason. The comments are necessary to understand what exactly
happened. I mean, how exactly do you decide whether you trigger a binNMU if
you actually haven't researched why the binNMU is necessary?

I mean, yes, for Haskell, the answer is the usually ABI change after some
dependency was changed in a recent upload. However, exactly for these cases,
my suggestion would be to use the script that Michael has written. So, instead
of having to spend too little time on the Haskell binNMU to write a proper
binNMU changelog, you will actually have to spend no time on it  :).

> I also worry that the timing of binNMUs will vary from one arch to another.

I'm not sure what you mean. The binNMUs should be independent for each architecture,
of course. The script should be run in a way that it checks for the necessary
binNMUs individually and also triggers them individually. I was not meaning
to trigger the exact same binNMUs on all architectures, independent of what
the script actually determined for a particular architecture. This would
defeat the purpose of the script anyway as then you could just trigger binNMUs
the way you have been doing it.

> I'm sure the script will be very helpful.  Could it run as a cron job and email results?  That
> would save considerable time.

We should probably talk about this with Aurelien. Maybe he would allow us
to install a cron job or something similar on wuiet.

@Aurelien: What do you think?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz