[Debian-ppc64-devel] debootstrap

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 2 19:44:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 08:30:44PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 06-Jan-02 15:26, Sven Luther wrote:
> > What did ever happen of your move of the archive to the augsbourg machines ?
>
> Hello Sven,
>
> There was a nice offer to move the ppc64 archive from alioth to the
> Debian/IBM machines in Augsburg a few weeks ago, but I did not hear

I think it is more than a few weeks ago.

> anything more about this since then. I still think that such a move
> would be a good idea, especially because the offer also included the
> creation of a full Debian dak/wanna-build setup for ppc64.

I was under the impression that you have to follow-up on this if you want it
to happen :)

> > Also, it has been decided to try for a multi-arch setup for etch, and i will
> > be looking into this together with some others during this month and next.
>
> This sounds promising. A working multiarch setup would make many things
> much easier than they are now.

it sounds promising, but it is not done yet. Lot of work ahead.

> > Once the basic setup is there, would you be willing to participate in that
> > effort, and later merge the pure64 effort into it, or still prefer to maintain
> > a separate solution ?
>
> I will certainly try to help in that effort if I can. Of course it would
> be nice if the current experimental ppc64 efforts could somehow merged
> into the planned multiarch archive.

Yes, or at least upto a point, but we will see.

> Will the planned multiarch solution provide a way to install a full

No, i don't think this is planned, not for etch at least, we can always
reevaluate later on. We already have a 64bit kernel and a biarch toolchain,
now the balance is between finding the right balance in the packages to
have in 64bit, and the amount of work needed, and the archive space it will
take. The etch freeze is july 1 or something such, so we have less than 6
month to make this happen, including setting up the infrastructure and
everything.

> 64-bit userspace? I still think that it would be useful to have this
> option - even if the default setup will be 32-bit powerpc plus some
> 64-bit libraries as a multiarch installation.

I don't think it is needed, if we have real multiarch for all or the more
important libraries and choice apps who can benefit from 64bit, what good
is the rest ? Anyway, we will think about it in the etch+1 timeframe.

Friendly,

Sven Luther