[Debian-ppc64-devel] G5 install tips - autobuilder?

Chuck iMacG5 at disposeamail.com
Mon Nov 5 23:08:46 UTC 2007

> If you wanna go through the pain of building from scratch, might
> indeed as well use Gentoo or whatever else.

T2 ships binary.  A new release is due soon.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.t2.devel/3218

> My suggestion is that you start by reading the documentation.

Why didn't I think of that.  The issue is doc completeness/accuracy.
The docs don't cover what I'm asking (because PPC64 is not an official
port?) and your answers suggest they're wrong.

I asked about autobuilder.  Is the doc right or wrong?  You make it
sound wrong:

http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/
"The debian-ppc64 archive on alioth has 98% of the source packages"
"an autobuilder ... keeps the ppc64 archive up to date by building all
new source package versions from the official Debian 'unstable'
Distribution.  The autobuilder also uploads the packages to the publicly
accessible ppc64 archive on alioth."

Thanks for the help.

I'm not willing to give on 64-bit because it's a major transition that
has made everyone suffer in some way or another.  Your pain won't be my
pain because the timing is different.  The real issue is whether code is
64-bit clean or not, not so much Debian's port politics, which do not
interest me.  As long as someone is maintaining a viable autobuilder
then I'm happy.

The showstopper has been weird Apple hardware needing Linux driver
updates, like bluetooth.  Those bug fixes seem to be in place now, but
some distros are too slow with version uptake.  That's one reason I need
unstable and modern kernels.  For example,
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_23#head-9662b7033acc543ef98f57ad237d8d85125fea99

Chuck