[xml/sgml] Debian GNU/Linux reference card

W. Borgert debacle@debian.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:38:07 +0200

Quoting Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshored.com>:
> Why move it to DDP CVS when that is going to go away eventually
> anyhow?

Of course, I like to use a place that's safe for the future.
What place do you propose?  It should be a place that is
available now or very soon, because I'm in a version chaos
already :-( CVS or SVN would rescue me.

> Is it really weak in Docbook?  Someone should formulate an RFE and I
> can look at getting some universal attribute into some later version
> of Docbook.

AFAIK, there is no explicit support for translations in
DocBook/XML, or maybe I just haven't found it.  I think,
that there's a need for:

1. Explicitly mark elements that are to be translated, e.g.
   <section translate='1'>
   in the original document.

2. Explicitly mark elements that are already translated or
   are "fuzzy" translated, e.g.
   <para translation-state='translated'/'fuzzy'/'untranslated'>
   in the translated (maybe generated?) document.

I have absolutely no experience in this area, so take this
with a pound of salt :-)  But that's what I think to have
seen in gettext.

Cheers, WB