[xml/sgml] Debian GNU/Linux reference card

Adam Di Carlo adam@onshored.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:03:31 -0400

SVN @ alioth.  That's probably where DDP is going to move some day anyhow.

>> Is it really weak in Docbook?  Someone should formulate an RFE and I
>> can look at getting some universal attribute into some later version
>> of Docbook.
>
> AFAIK, there is no explicit support for translations in
> DocBook/XML, or maybe I just haven't found it.  I think,
> that there's a need for:
>
> 1. Explicitly mark elements that are to be translated, e.g.
>    <section translate='1'>
>    in the original document.
>
> 2. Explicitly mark elements that are already translated or
>    are "fuzzy" translated, e.g.
>    <para translation-state='translated'/'fuzzy'/'untranslated'>
>    in the translated (maybe generated?) document.
>
> I have absolutely no experience in this area, so take this
> with a pound of salt :-)  But that's what I think to have
> seen in gettext.

Yes, this doesn't seem like the right approach.  After all, marking the source
document because it's already translated into a derived document is wrong.
Remember, you might have 1 source and 20 derived translations.

Someone really wanting this would do well to really research PO structures,
and possibly how TEI and other system handle this.  Anyhow .. followups on
this should probably go to a docbook list, not here.  It's not really a
debian-specific issue.

--
...Adam Di Carlo...<adam@onshored.com>.......<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>