[debian-yeeloong-project] debian squeeze on fuloong 6004 installation report

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Thu Jul 14 10:56:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:36:43 +0200
David Kuehling <dvdkhlng at gmx.de> wrote:

> Not sure it would be a good idea to duplicate all the yeeloong
> installation instructions on a largely equivalent fuloong installation
> wiki page.

It surely wouldn't.

> The kernel+debian installer images i compiled should also happiliy boot
> on a yeeloong laptop (although i can't test it).  Also I'd expect that
> the pmon problems that plagued me could also hit yeeloong owners,
> depending on which version lemote chose to install.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to rename DebianYeeloong to DebianLoongson and to
> cover all these very similar platforms?

Yes, it is an unfortunate choice of project name (DebianYeeloong), given the other Lemote products based on Loongson2F (Fuloong and even the all-in-one desktop Lynloong) are practically exactly the same hardware base, and the same initrd and kernel can be used on all of them.

However there is now the Loongson3A laptop on the horizon, and it might be notably different from the 2F ones with regards to installation, boot-up and other issues. So naming it DebianLoongson2F could be a better choice for now.

--
With respect,
Roman