[debian-yeeloong-project] debian squeeze on fuloong 6004 installation report

Michael Dorrington michael.dorrington at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 10:47:22 UTC 2011

On 14/07/11 11:36, David Kuehling wrote:

>> On 12/07/11 10:42, David Kuehling wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install
>
>> I would recommended creating page(s) on the wiki detailing the install
>> under something like: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianFuloong
>
> At the hardware side Fuloong mini-pc and Yeeloong Laptop don't have any
> software-visible differences.  I.e. same cpu, same chipset and
> peripherals, same bootloader, booting the same kernel.
>
> Not sure it would be a good idea to duplicate all the yeeloong
> installation instructions on a largely equivalent fuloong installation
> wiki page.
>
> The kernel+debian installer images i compiled should also happiliy boot
> on a yeeloong laptop (although i can't test it).  Also I'd expect that
> the pmon problems that plagued me could also hit yeeloong owners,
> depending on which version lemote chose to install.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to rename DebianYeeloong to DebianLoongson and to
> cover all these very similar platforms?

Reasons to have a Yeeloong only page:

* Yeeloong has a special place of being the 'RMS' laptop and has
(nearly) all free software BIOSes. The Fuloong is not used by RMS and
does not have all free software BIOSes, particularly the VGA, so doesn't
have a special place.

* The installation instructions for Yeeloong detailed on
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install work for the
Yeeloong but this email suggests that there is a problem using them on
the Fuloong.

* The Yeeloong and Fuloong are not the same hardware.

 The Yeeloong has the following that the Fuloong does not:
 + Built-in screen with ability to toggle its use with the VGA out.
Getting this toggling working is important if you want to use the
Yeeloong for presentations, for instance.
 + Built-in keyboard including "function keys" that we want working.
 + Built-in webcam.
 + Built-in trackpad. Which I would like to be able to disable tap to
click on!
 + Built-in SD card reader.

 The Fuloong has the following that the Yeeloong does not:
 + DVI and S-Video out.
 + Serial.

* The Yeeloong page shares the idea behind the Eee PC page:
 + http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC
 + It is still 'i386'. http://wiki.debian.org/i386

Regards,
Mike.