[debian-yeeloong-project] debian squeeze on fuloong 6004 installation report

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Sat Jul 16 11:56:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:47:22 +0100
Michael Dorrington <michael.dorrington at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reasons to have a Yeeloong only page:
>
> * Yeeloong has a special place of being the 'RMS' laptop and has
> (nearly) all free software BIOSes. The Fuloong is not used by RMS and
> does not have all free software BIOSes, particularly the VGA, so doesn't
> have a special place.

Unfortunately Yeeloong does not have any kind of special place to Debian, last time I checked Debian did not differentiate whether a machine has free BIOS or not, to give it any kind of special status, surely not to a point of influencing the way in which Debian installation manuals are structured.

> * The Yeeloong and Fuloong are not the same hardware.

Fuloong has less hardware, making it easier to work with, if anything.
Also the SiS 315 video chip just works with the driver from repository without any hoops with patching X.org.

>  The Fuloong has the following that the Yeeloong does not:
>  + DVI and S-Video out.
>  + Serial.

These do not require any special steps during the installation.

> * The Yeeloong page shares the idea behind the Eee PC page:
>  + http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC
>  + It is still 'i386'. http://wiki.debian.org/i386

Agreed, then perhaps the DebianYeeloong page should focus on the Laptop-specific bits (keyboard/vga/wifi/camera/battery/fan), while leaving all the general Loongson stuff (PMON/initrd/kernel) to a generic Loongson2F page common for all hardware built on this base.

--
With respect,
Roman