[Debsplash-devel] Re: verbose error

Luis M Luis M <lemsx1@gmail.com>
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:28:13 -0500

Ah, it's not that no one wants to code it. It's that people don't want
to depend on X for a bootsplash. Otherwise, redhat already does this
and it works for them (whatever their bootsplash is called, it needs X
in order to draw to the screen).

usplash aims to talk directly to the /dev/fb* devices. in other words,
it will be a mini version of X doing only exactly what it's meant to
do and nothing else: paint jpeg's to the screen (or PNG's of course).

outside of that, did you get a chance to checkout debsplash from alitoh's cvs?

--
Luis M

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html