[Debtags-devel] Lots of bugs fixed

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Aug 3 00:06:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:09:57PM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> Ok, I have given the file structure a deeper look. Some questions:
>       * How should I merge the changelog files? Append one at the other?
>         Start a new one?

I would even consider merging them, interleaving the various entries to
make them all in cronological order.  But don't worry about that: it's a
time-consuming quirk of mine, and I could take care of it.  In the
meantime, you can just cat them together.

>       * libdebtags1/doc has a Makefile.am, debtags/doc has a Makefile,
>         how shall I proceed (I do not know enough about automake to
>         merge them, and I suspect it would be fatal to have both of
>         them)

Put everything in one directory, keeping the Makefile.am and appending
the Makefile at the end of it: I'll take care of fixing what's wrong.

> The rules files look pretty empty:
>         include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
>         include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/autotools.mk
>
>         # Store build information
>         common-binary-post-install-arch
>         common-binary-post-install-indep::
>         	dh_buildinfo
> Does this mean approximately take all the default files (docs, dirs,
> install,...) and install them and use the autotools to build the stuff?

Yes, that's the magic of CDBS: if the package is a well-behaved
automake+autoconf one, there's nothing else to add.

I love CDBS because you just have to tell it what's different than usual
(in this case, pretty much nothing except invoke dh_buildinfo as a
convenience).  In the debian/ directory you'll find other files listing
docs, postinst scripts, manpages, file matching patterns and the like:
they'll be honored by cdbs by default.

I reckon, however, that CDBS makes packages quite obscure if someone
isn't already familiar with it.  Keep questions coming!

> Greetings Ben (with probably more questions surfacing soon)

No problem at all.

I checked out the branch, but it's still empty.  Commit your work in it
when you can, so we can point each others at files and stuff.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>