[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Aug 13 22:27:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 06:49:20PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:

> Enrico Zini wrote:

> > role::aux:dummy                 role::aux:dummy
> > role::aux:metapackage           role::aux:metapackage
>
> By the way (no need for this to be a blocker) I notice that many
> python-foo packages fall somewhere between the above two.  Unlike
> role::aux:dummy, they are designed to stay installed; and unlike
> role::aux:metapackage they pull in only one package, the latest
> version (python2.x-foo).  I'm calling them :dummy packages for now,
> but there might be an argument for changing that.

They look like metapackages to me, as their job is to give a convenient
name for pulling in some (one in this case) packages.  Dummy packages
are more like placeholders for packages which have been removed between
Debian releases.

I can do the renaming for you if you want.

> That all looks good to me, but Thaddeus was still defending the
> applications/utilities distinction the last I heard.  Would all the
> rehoused driver and input-method software packages fit under
> "utilities" if we kept them separate?

Ok.  I'll go on with this transition but I'll leave applications and
utilities untouched.  I'll probably start a new thread later on to
try to find ways of clarifying that a bit; maybe in a week or two.

Thanks everyone for the comments, as usual: this restructuring looks
much better than it was originally.

Ciao,

Enrico starting the transition work

--