[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn
Justin B Rye
jbr at edlug.org.uk
Fri Aug 19 09:38:33 UTC 2005
Erich Schubert wrote:
> So you ever run "debconf" yourself? Debconf is more like a libary, actually.
The package debconf contains
* a whole bunch of perl modules
* a trivial testing script named /usr/bin/debconf
* dpkg-preconfigure, which is the user-visible end of the package
* a couple of lesser utilities such as /usr/bin/debconf-show
* a file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf, the crucial trigger
mechanism that calls dpkg-preconfigure when appropriate
Remember my ramblings about directories like apt.conf.d? IMHO, the
package is a piece of automation, even if the name "daemon" doesn't
quite fit it.
> apt-get however is the command line interface to the apt libraries
> (kind of). I would say apt-get is an application, just like aptitude,
> synaptic, ...
Synaptic and gnome-apt and so on are definitely applications, but
apt-get and apt-cache are (at least by intention) just utilities, as
simple and scriptable as possible. They're no more application-like
than find or cpio.
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)
More information about the Debtags-devel