[Debtags-devel] Renaming the 'media' facet into 'specialty'

Enrico Zini enrico@enricozini.org
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 21:02:52 +0200

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:27:22PM -0700, Erich Schubert wrote:

> I didn't get the meaning of "speciality" from the name. My first
> suggestion would have been "data" again, but this doesn't solve the
> "processes" issue.
> Why not call it operate-on, or work-with? objects?

I started the transition, and I went with "works-with".

I also added, besides the existing media::* tags, the following:

  Tag: works-with::bugs
 =20
  (attached so far to bug reporting and issue tracking packages, but not
  to debuggers)

  Tag: works-with::people

  (attached so far to project management and genealogy packages)
 =20

  Tag: works-with::pim

  (attached so far to all sort of agenda rolodex planner addressbook
  kind of packages)

  Tag: works-with::process

  (attached so far to procps and valgrind)
 =20

I'm fearing this one would expand quite a bit (weather, web pages,
configuration files, software, presentations, network packets, maps are
some more that come to my mind).

Plus some questions open, such as "are perl and python packages that
work with source code or with processes?"

> The very-simple interface you suggested basically uses a
> subject-verb-object approach.
> Which is supposedly very intuitive. the uitoolkit etc. have the role
> of adjectives and adverbs. Maybe we can derive a good term from that.

I've currently left aside that interface in favour of that new proposal
=66rom Jan M=C3=BChlig.  Maybe we'll play a bit around at Debconf5.

> Some more notes to other mails:
> "uitoolkit" belongs into "software technology used", IMHO. ;-)

I'm more and more tempted to put it as a subcategory there.

I've started thinking that it doesn't hurt to try: worse case, we roll
back later.

> A limitation here is that we don't have read-email and read-rss
> separated: think of an application reading rss feeds and sending you
> summaries via email. It will have the email tag, the write tag, the
> rss tag and the read tag. Suddenly, this can show up as email reader,
> too!

If someone wants to maintain a list of attributes between tags, I don't
mind :)

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB--