[Debtags-devel] Re: Debtags for medical issues

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Jul 28 12:20:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 01:33:22PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Enrico Zini wrote:
> >> Should we confirm "tille" and "smoe-guest"?
> > Please confirm "tille" and "smoe-guest" only if Steffen agrees.
> I would be honored.

Thanks Andreas and Steffen, and welcome to the Debtags svn :)

You can find some basic instructions on how to access the subversion
repository at http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/vocabulary.html

Since you have commit access, you can directly use:

  svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debtags/vocabulary/trunk

After changing, send me a short mail and I'll check if everything is ok,
maybe discuss them a bit with you and finally propagate the changes in
the central database at debian.vitavonni.de.

After the changes are in the central database, you can start adding the
tags via the packagebrowser, debtags-edit, debtags itself or any other
method you prefer[1].

Some quick notes to get started:

 - Have a quick read at http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.html
   even if limited to the "Debtags theoretical foundations":
   http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.html#debtags-theoretical-foundations
   that will give you a starting idea of the way we do categorization.

 - Start small, based on the packages you have.  "Debian is a living
   organism": we have to catch what it is now, since we can't predict
   what it will be tomorrow.

   Also, you will learn more about your packages as you categorise them,
   and you must allow your categories will improve over time.

   Finally, keep in mind that it's always farily easy to rework the
   categorisation later.

 - Don't worry about making mistakes: that's what a version tracking
   system is for :)

[1]
http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.html#contributing-to-the-categorization
--