[Debtags-devel] Debconf5 Debtags paper

Benjamin Mesing bensmail@gmx.net
Sat, 28 May 2005 17:45:41 +0200

Hello Enrico

Cool, the article is great! You have managed to make it pleasent to read
and keep it informativ. I also strongly praise, that finally there is a
comprehensive introduction which can be handed to people interested in
Debtags.

Here are some issues were I stumbled (use your search function to find
the line numbers :-):

In the abstract:
        [sections] which are not useful anymore due to
        the large and always increasing size of the Debian archive.
Shouldn't you say that a little "softer"? They are by no means _not_
useful, but they are no longer sufficient to be a good aid when
searching.

        In order for people to share the knowledge encoded in facets and
        tags, we need
        to collect them into a shared and commonly understood
        vocabulary.

        Besides the usefulness in the tagging work, the vocabulary can
        also be used to
        present a list of facets and tags in a user interface, to store
        meta-information about facets and tags (such as a description),
        and to validate
        tag data.
I find this first (short) section about the vocabulary hard to
understand. I am really not sure what you are saying. Perhaps you should
hint to the following section which explains in more detail. Such a
hint, might ease people who struggle with this section (like me).

        ``autodebtags``
            Experimental tool to perform some automatic and euristic
        tagging tasks.
Shouldn't it be heuristic here?

Change
        Uitoolit and not implemented-in
to Uitoolkit :-)

Perhaps you should mention the carfully-tagged tag when speaking about
how people can edit the tags?

Thanks for mentioning the AI-Tagger and packagesearch. Would you mind me
sending you a nifty KDE screenshot instead of this ...umm... ugly
motif(?) one. Also should I select some tags for the screenshot (perhaps
the ones you mentioned in your paper)? This would make it more
expressive.

So far my thoughts

Greetings Ben