[Debtags-devel] New [related] link in search.cgi

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Fri Nov 18 16:20:53 UTC 2005

Hello,

> What he was doing was searching the package name instead of keywords;
> that would indeed match the package at least, bring the package's tags
> in the 'Wanted' taglist and show other packages with same tags.
This sounds like what is referred to as "related" search to me (with a
distance of 0).

> I hadn't realized that this would work, but it seems that it would!
No, I think this does not work. When searching e.g. for licq or perl
(basically every package where the search result contains more than the
entered package) the selected tags do not contain all tags of the
original package, and may contain others.

Nevertheless, it might be a good idea to implement this. But it should
be implemented using the related search.
Note that as I pointed out in [1] I think that the term "related" is
misleading, because the search is for similar and not related packages.

Best regards

Ben

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2005-October/000917.html